Dispossessed is the third episode of the first season of Vikings. It is the third episode of the series overall. It first aired on March 17, 2013. It was written by creator Michael Hirst and directed by Johan Renck.
A monastery in Lindesfarne is about to get a firsthand look at how the Vikings operate. In and out in a flurry of violence and terror, Ragnar and his crew raid the monastery for everything it contains from treasure to monks who can be sold as slaves. Unable to ignore the riches this unsanctioned journey has returned, Earl Haraldson has no choice but to agree to let these warriors undertake a second trip out. The west has now been opened for the taking by Ragnar Lothbrok and the world of the Vikings will never be the same.
Ragnar returns to Kattegat with slaves and treasure. Lagertha protects their farm when Svein comes searching for Ragnar. Ragnar learns that the priest he enslaved is named Athelstan. Once they hit land, Knut tells Ragnar that Earl Haraldson wishes to see him. The Earl confiscates all the treasure but allows them to take one thing for themselves. The Earl asks what Ragnar will take for himself and he decides to take Athelstan as his slave. After, Rollo is upset that Ragnar gave in so easily to the Earl. Ragnar tells him not to worry that this is only the beginning. Rollo shows him that he had hidden some treasure away for himself and Ragnar tells him that that was a stupid thing to do. Siggy tries to seduce the Earl but he becomes distant while he's kissing her. Ragnar returns home. He shows the children the priest and lets them touch him while he and Lagertha have sex. After they're finished, they both approach Athelstan and ask him if he wants to join them. Athelstan tells them no that it'd be a sin.
- Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok
- Katheryn Winnick as Lagertha
- Clive Standen as Rollo
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Siggy Haraldson
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Floki
- George Blagden as Athelstan
- Gabriel Byrne as Earl Haraldson
- Jouko Ahola as Kauko
- Tadhg Murphy as Arne
- Diarmaid Murtagh as Leif
- Gary Farrelly as Young Boy
- Will Irvine as Brother Cenwulf
- Carrie Crowley as Elisef
- Kevin McCann as Man in Kattegat
- Eric Higgins as Knut Tjodolf
- Ruby O'Leary as Gyda Ragnarsdóttir
- Sam Doyle as Saxon 1
- Sam Smith as Saxon 2 (Edwin)
- David Ryan as Northumbrian Reeve
- Amy De Bhrún as Ingergird
- Robert MacDomhnail as Viking Warrior
- Young Boy
- Brother Cenwulf
- "Thraell" is the Old Norse word for slave.
- The Anglo-Saxon official who accosts Ragnar's band on the Northumbrian beach in this episode was a Scirgerefa, or "shire-reeve" and the origin of the word sheriff.
- The meeting between the reeve and Ragnar and his men is based the the first reported encounter between Anglo-Saxons and Norsemen. It happened a few years before Lindisfarne, but did not end in a raid.